Frasers is located in the heart of the Kent Countryside on a mixed farm owned by Adam and Lisa-Jane Fraser. The farm was purchased by Adam's father John Fraser in 1960 and completely modernised, eventually boasting two large dairy herds - one Jersey and one Fresian.
The Fraser Family did not have a background in farming, they were in fact retailers having founded the widely known chain of The House of Fraser (see Family History panel to the right). It was this heritage that formed the idea for the branding and family association for this venture. The familiar stags head was not only associated with the House of Fraser but is also the Fraser family Crest.
Adam and Lisa married in 1990 and worked alongside Adams father. They began the process of converting redundant buildings on the farm into high quality Bed and Breakfast and holiday lets. Adams father subsequently retired in 1996 and the farm was passed to Adam.
In 2000 Lisa began taking advantage of the host of local seasonal foods available to her and began cooking and selling her range of products at local farmers markets. The business flourished, largely by word of mouth and began catering for parties, weddings and other events as well as starting to supply local pubs including the George and Dragon in nearby Headcorn and Indulgence Coffee Lounge and Bistro in Tenterden.
Access to a wide range of local ingredients from meat, dairy, jams,chutneys and breads enabled her to produce high quality food for the catering enterprise. The benefits of this practice are felt in the wider rural economy by increasing turnover for the local farmers we purchase from as well as significantly reducing the Food Miles compared with other caterers.
Guests in the B&B units were increasingly requesting to purchase goods from the kitchen as well as requesting evening meals. The intoxicating smells wafting out from the kitchen acted like a magnet, attracting our guests to the kitchen stable door.
Hence, the idea of Frasers was born, to custom build a commercial kitchen and a adjacent private function room on the farm to facilitate producing a range of luxury goods for sale through local retail outlets as well as being able to offer a unique venue for guests to eat, relax, train and get married.
We were awarded our wedding Licence by Kent County Council in March 2009. Guests can visit to relax, unwind and even take part in a variety of residential courses from cooking, floristry, jewellery making to botanical or fine art courses. Courses can be tailor-made to suit the individuals requirements.
In a world where we must become increasingly aware of the environmental impact of our business activities - Frasers facilitates a 'guilt-free' experience. The farm itself is registered with the Governments Environmental Stewardship Scheme thereby executing low-impact, low carbon producing activities and in turn promoting the existence of a wide range of wildlife.
The function room itself is constructed sustainably ? largely being made of green oak and being constructed to an extremely high standard of insulation. Hot water for the facility is from a Ground Source Heat Pump which is a sustainable facility. These measures result in a significant reduction in the carbon produced from the building.
The food offered is from a locally produced, seasonal group of suppliers, hence the 'food-miles' are far lower. The primary produce is traceable and seasonal and the menus reflect this seasonality.
Fraser Famliy History
Hugh Fraser (Adam's great great grandfather) was born in 1815, in 1849 he became a junior partner in James Arthur - then in 1850 Arthur and Fraser was founded. This business grew over the 1850s and 1860s.
By 1866 the partnership was dissolved and Fraser and Mclaren was established. In 1873 Hugh Fraser died and in 1875 his eldest son James Arthur Fraser took the reins. At this point Fraser and Sons was born.
This was very much a family business run by three of the five sons. John Fraser became chairman. At the beginning of the nineteenth century Hugh Fraser II took over control and when he died in 1927 his son Hugh Fraser III took control. He eventually became Hugh Fraser of Allander - having run the business from 1937 until 1966.
The business became the 'House of Fraser' in 1937. The Company was extremely successful and expanded rapidly taking over many household retailer names such as Harrods, Barkers, Army and Navy and Cheesemans.
Hugh IV was born in 1936 and died in 1988, during this period the Company went public.